If Katie Bonner's late husband hadn't invested all their savings in the crafts fair Artisans Alley, the Webster mansion could have been hers to remodel into a bed-and-breakfast. Instead that dream belongs to another young couple. But that dream becomes a nightmare when a skeleton is discovered sealed in the walls of the mansion. The bones belong to Helen Winston, who went missing twenty-two years ago. Heather's aunt, a jewelry vendor at Artisans Alley, asks Kate for help finding her niece's murderer. The case may be cold, but the killer is very much alive-and ready to go to any lengths to keep past secrets buried...
I am going to make my review a little different this time around as I really didn’t care for this book as much as I was expecting to. I thought it was just ok and I don’t know if maybe it was the narrator that didn’t work for me.I will get to the things I did like though and I am going to bullet point them below:
- I liked the concept of this one with the main character Katie being the owner of Artisan’s Alley and the idea of having a area full of people that create crafts and sell things. It was a really cool idea.
- I liked some of the side characters as they were a really eclectic bunch of ladies.
- I liked the main mystery that was in this one but the whole concept of Katie being the one to try to solve it really felt odd to me.
I will now get to what didn’t work for me in this one and I will point out that just because I didn’t care for this one doesn’t mean you may not enjoy it. There are different things that work for different people.
- The narrator didn’t work for me as she made all the characters sound alike to me. I found myself listening and getting to a point of not being able to tell who was who and what was going on.
- I didn’t like Katie at all. She was a little bit of a spoiled brat and expected everything to go her way. She in short for a grown women was really unrealistic. I grew tired of her really quickly but I tried to get pass that.
- The concept of this story was great but it didn’t work for me as once we find out who was behind it all it just seemed like a really stupid reason to murder someone. It felt like a big let down and not what I expected.
Overall this one didn’t work for me and maybe it was just the audio. I am not sure if I would have enjoyed better if it was read but something just didn’t click for me. I expected more because it sounded so fun and promising which is why I wanted to give it a try. I think I can cross this series off my list though because the main character Katie was enough to put me off from it. I would say to still try this one out for yourself though as you may enjoy it.