Fairy Tale Survival Rule #32: If you find yourself at the mercy of a wicked witch, sing a romantic ballad and wait for your Prince Charming to save the day.Yeah, no thanks. Dorthea is completely princed out. Sure being the crown princess of Emerald has its perks—like Glenda Original ball gowns and Hans Christian Louboutin heels. But a forced marriage to the not-so-charming prince Kato is so not what Dorthea had in mind for her enchanted future. Talk about unhappily ever after.Trying to fix her prince problem by wishing on a (cursed) star royally backfires, leaving the kingdom in chaos and her parents stuck in some place called "Kansas." Now it's up to Dorthea and her pixed off prince to find the mysterious Wizard of Oz and undo the curse...before it releases the wickedest witch of all and spells The End for the world of Story.
I went into this one excited because I love anything Wizard of Oz related and this was a cute retelling. I liked it enough but there were some things that annoyed me some so I am going to bullet point this one with what I enjoyed and what didn’t work for me. I am going to go into what I enjoyed about it first.
- The world building was pretty amazing and I loved learning about the world of Emerald. It was full of beautiful and vivid descriptions and I felt like I was emerged in the world.
- The concept of the book was a great one and it was cool to see why Doretha was sheltered the way she was and why. I knew that something major was going to come out of it all soon.
- The characters throughout the book were pretty cool and different and it was fun to see the different twists on them.
- I enjoyed Kato and he was my favorite character out of the whole book. I loved what he was and the way he didn’t put up with the main character Emerald’s ways.
Ok now I have to get onto what I didn’t care for in this one but it may have just been me.
- I didn’t care for the character of Emerald as she was a spoiled brat and so annoying at times. I have to say the fact that everything that happened in this book basically started from her wanting to have her way. She had too any moments that I wanted to smack her for her stupidity and lack of caring.
- I didn’t care for all the designer name dropping and the way the most basic words were turned into something different for the sake of trying to make it unique to the story. It just started to grate on my nerves.
Overall this was an ok read and I enjoyed it in the end even though there were parts I didn’t care for. I think that those that like retellings may enjoy it as it’s a little different from the norm. I would say you need to read this one for yourselves to decide if it’s right for you.